Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Pre-op Jitters - LASIK

     In November of last year we had open enrollment for corporate benefits.  As a part of this I decided to put aside funds in a Flex Spending Account to get LASIK done.  I went through the LASIK evaluation in early February and confirmed that I am a candidate for the procedure.
     Fast forward to this whole week, and each day I have been getting more anxious about the surgery tomorrow.  Now sitting here the night before I have second guessed my decision to do this, and am very nervous. 
     I have been wearing some sort of eye correction (contacts or glasses) since 2nd grade.  The thought that after just over 20 years in corrective lenses I have the opportunity before me to have my vision improved is hard to digest.  I have continually reminded myself of all the benefits, but it is still hard to face this without getting nervous.
     Part of my difficulty is the fact that I have a long history of passing out.  From the age of about 5 years old I have passed out for a variety of reasons.  This has happened over 20 times in my lifetime.  These include at the doctor's office, dentist, optometrist (at least twice), after blood draws on several occassions, and various other situations.  I just want to be able to get through this without passing out!
     So I'm nervously anticipating the surgery in the morning and thankful for the anti-anxiety prescription to help ease those nerves.  We'll see how this goes!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment