Pages

Friday, March 9, 2012

Post-op LASIK

Yay! I got through the procedure! It was quite an experience overall. We got to the surgery location and checked in. We got called back where I signed paperwork, and they went over how I was to use the different eye drops after operation and other information.

I then was given a Vallium to help calm my nerves and keep me from wanting to pass out. My eyes were scanned to have a map of my eyes for the machine to use to customize the correction of my vision. We did a quick eye exam as well. We were given head covers and booties to wear before moving into the procedure room.

The first room I went into was the machine to create the corneal flap. I felt a bit of pressure and had quite a strange sensation on my eye. This was by far the most uncomfortable part of the procedure. Dr. Grin was so comforting, and talked me through each stage of the surgery. This was very helpful, especially when after the flap is created, there is a period of time I couldn't see at all. This would've been very scary had I not had warning.

We then moved into another room to do the laser treatment. I felt absolutely nothing throughout this portion of the surgery. I could see that he was moving the flap but couldn't feel anything. The laser then went to work correcting my eye, and Dr. Grin then replaced the flap and gave me several eye drops. We did the other eye and were done. I was at the facility for a total of 1.5-2 hours. The procedure itself took only about 20 minutes. Literally the time that machines were at work on my eyes was about 2-3 minutes per eye.

I am in awe that we have technology that take my sight from worse than 20/200 to where I can see without aide of corrective lenses. I am so blessed! I will be having a follow-up appointment in the morning and look forward to waking up and being able to see without putting on glasses!

My husband was so supportive, and I don't know that I would have done as well without him there holding my hand.

What an experience!

Before and after pics attached

No comments:

Post a Comment