Pages

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Super Turkey Chili

I went to find this recipe online so I could add it to Pinterest, and it was gone!  So, I decided to post it here!  We love this recipe and I'll note changes I made to the original recipe in case you want to experiment.  I began using this recipe during Phase I when we did the South Beach Diet.  It is an easy recipe, and one of my favorite cold weather meals!

I added the ingredients into myfitnesspal.com and the calories per serving is about 470.

This is a place holder pic...will add my own the next time I make this  :)


Super Turkey Chili
Serves 8
Serving size about 1 cup

2 lbs natural ground turkey breast
2 tbs olive or canola oil
3 medium onions, diced (about 2 cups)
1 medium zucchini, diced (about 1 cup)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 (28oz) cans diced tomatoes
1 (6oz) can tomato paste
2 (15oz) cans dark red kidney beans
4 tbs chili powder
1 tbs cumin
1 tsp cayenne (optional)
2 tsp salt

Heat a large soup pot over medium heat.  Add oil, onion, zucchini and garlic, saute for 5 minutes, or until soft

Add ground turkey, cook and stir until browned

Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and salt

If chili is too thick, add water or broth to achieve desired consistency.  Simmer for at least 20 minutes.  Ladle into bowls and serve piping hot.

My changes or additions:
      - Use 1 can dark red kidney beans & 1 can black beans
      - Fresh diced tomato instead of canned
      - 1/4 tsp cayenne
      - Dash white pepper & black pepper
      - Dash of red pepper flakes
      - Sometime to change it up, I use lean ground beef
      - I've also added a little ground chipotle from time to time as well

No comments:

Post a Comment